Monday, September 10, 2012

Messenger Bag

I admit I let myself be lured by this, mainly because I've been lusting after this for a long time and it suddenly came back up on the all-too-brief sale list.

Yes, I got an ITS Generation 2 Discrete Messenger Bag.

I've swapped out my Saddleback for it over the last couple of weeks, mostly as a test run. My thoughts:

  • It's certainly a lot lighter than my Saddleback. That's kind of a "duh!"
  • This bag has a ridiculous number of pockets. Seriously. It's unreal. No what's unreal is that I'm using all of them.
  • I love the zipper access to the internal compartment without having to open the flap. Nice touch!
  • The water bottle holders are generous.
  • There's elastic band/webbing underneath that works perfectly for storing a medium-length collapsed umbrella.
  • Seriously. The number of pockets is just unreal.
  • Slings nicely across the back.
  • One of the internal pockets is padded nicely should I decide to carry my laptop with this bag.
  • WORTH. EVERY. PENNY.

I'm undecided if I like the Discrete Messenger Bag more than my Saddleback. I mean, they're really just very different bags.

The Saddleback is mostly-indestructable leather. Heavy as hell, but has great carrying capacity and is pretty much indestructable. Getting into the bag is a hassle, as the Saddleback uses straps, but that's never really bothered me.

The Discrete Messenger Bag is lighter, but still feels pretty solid. Looks different, of course, but that's the point. The Discrete Messenger Bag looks just like a standard laptop bag whereas the Saddleback looks like something Indiana Jones would cart around.

There's advantages to both. Thankfully I have all the time in the world to play with favorites or switch out as I desire.

Good lord, I've become a purse-person.

No comments: