Monday, June 6, 2011

Sigh

And now post-"Doctor Who" depression sets in.

I don't get another fix until September.

SEPTEMBER!!!!

HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO HOLD OUT THAT LONG?????

I'm curious where the Moff is going with the storyline. I'd like to speculate in detail, but I don't want to spoil things for anyone who has yet to get caught up to "A Good Man Goes to War".

On the topic of S06E07, I re-watched it yesterday. I wish there had been... oh... three or four more buildup episodes to get to that point. Maybe even having some of those episodes in last season would have been nice. I suspect there are back-stories that would have been great episodes. I'm hard-pressed to decide what I would have cut from last season to make room... aside from that horrible Dalek episode.

I'm of mixed-feelings as to how the character of the Doctor is getting handled in the rebooted series. RTD and the Moff do have one common theme they like to maintain in the new series: a lot of homage to what a badass they perceive the Doctor to be.

I have a bit of a problem with the Doctor's "fame" in the overall series (this shouldn't spoil anything unless you haven't watched any of the 2005 reboot).

The Doctor is a time-traveller. He pops in. He interferes. He pops out. Done and done.

Time may not be a strict linear progression of cause to effect (thank you number Ten), but from a non-Time Lord perspective it pretty much is. So there should be a sort of continuity.

Thus, when one is back in Roman times on Earth, there shouldn't be that many aliens wandering around who know who the Doctor is.

Hell, there shouldn't be Cybermen at all prior to the late 20th century.

Oh, they can explain away a lot of this stuff... "the Doctor has been around"... whatever.

It makes the show's universe small when they do that. Too small. It becomes a little too self-referential. It's the same trap Star Wars fell into with the prequels. Too much going back to old stuff and closing loops.

The Moff has done a wonderful job of expanding the "Doctor Who" universe, but I could do with a little less "everyone is out to get rid of this terrible threat who is the Doctor" stuff.

Gets old.

No comments: