Tuesday, November 30, 2010

WikiPosturing

Looks like the Administration is considering WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange under the Espionage Act.

I'm confused.

Last I checked online, Assange is an Australian citizen, not U.S. citizen. Under what grounds does the U.S. have juristiction to prosecute Assange?

Oh, I could see arguments of the U.S. going after whatever source leaked the millions of documents to WikiLeaks, but it seems to me that going after WikiLeaks or Assange is indicative of "shoot-the-messenger" thinking.

It's exactly the kind of ass-backwards, reactionary, idiotic posturing that makes for jokes across the world. And what irritates me more than anything is how the media outlets choose to focus on the story at hand.

Broadcast news especially bugs me. Could just be the samplings I've viewed, but instead of covering the content of the leaks (such as Saudi encouragement for the U.S. to hit Iran with nuclear strikes, or alleged plans for North Korea's regime collapse) the media is making more of a big deal out of WikiLeaks getting, and distributing the information.

Oh, that's a story, but is that the right story to focus on? News sources have relied on "leaks" for pretty much as long as there's been news media. Is it just that WikiLeaks is actually doing a good job and releasing information that's probably in the public's interest, as opposed to most mainstream media banal idiocy?

The reactions from the Right bother me, but they don't surprise me. Lately the far-Right's talking heads have sounded more and more Nazi-esque in their dialog. What bothers me is that there's not much in the way of sane counter-points coming from positions of authority.

Really? WikiLeaks reports news from sources available to thousands of people, and Tea-baggers want the WikiLeaks founder assassinated? That's their solution for this stuff? Don't fix the policy problems (and, God forbid, look at internal security leaks) but literally shoot the messenger?

The world gets scarier and scarier every single day. I'm glad I don't have kids. I'd hate to see them grow up in what's looking to be a creepy future.

No comments: