Thursday, November 11, 2010

Travels

Now that I've had a couple of days to digest being home (and contract a lovely head cold) I thought I'd share a bit more details on my recent travels to the Czech Republic and Germany.

I departed from San Francisco International Airport via British Airways. Much to my surprise, I wasn't asked to step through the "naked scanner" in SFO, nor did I see anyone asked to do such.

I'm not sure if I'm relieved or not. I was all set to ask for dinner first. Ah well.

British Airways was a bit of a concern. They have a reputation for losing luggage and we had a bit of a layover in Heathrow before headed on to Prague. My worries proved unfounded as my checked luggage did indeed make it to my destination with me.

I do like one thing about BA. They don't do that stupid nickle-and-dime b.s. that American air carriers do with weighing carry-ons. They pretty much say you can take on a carry-on that one must be able to lift into the overhead compartment and can carry an extra briefcase or laptop bag that can fit under the seat in front of you.

Simple enough. It helped me prep by packing some of my garments in my carry-on for the off-chance that BA might misplace my checked luggage.

My one snag I hit was in Heathrow's security. The TSA in the States is apparently a bit more liberal about liquids than the Brits. They made me toss my TSA-approved container of contact lens cleaning solution.

Good times.

I can't say much about the flight from SFO to Heathrow. I was asleep for most of it thanks to the joys of Nyquil. The flight from Heathrow to Prague seemed eternal despite being only two hours. The last hour had my various decongestant drugs wear off, so the descent to Prague was rather painful for me as the pressure change threatened to crush my brain via my sinuses.

That was a hoot.

And then we were in Prague.

No comments: