Monday, July 26, 2010

Tightly-packed Can 'O Nerds

While picking up my comics on Sunday, I had a surprise encounter with one of the owners of the store I patronize.

Caught me a bit off-guard, as this is really the owner's wife. I can't for the life of me recall ever having a one-on-one conversation with her before.

She gave me a surpringly-thorough update on the recent San Diego Comic-Con trek she and her husband had just returned from then we spent the next ten minutes chatting about why I will likely never, ever go to said event.

I have to admit, SDCC calls to me on a very basic level of what passes for my soul. The sheer geekiness generated by SDCC would be a lot of fun.

It would also be packed with people.

There's a lot of geeky folks out there in the world (thank some god for that). That's awesome and all, but:

1) Geeks have a poor-hygiene stereotype for a reason.
2) I hate crowds. Seriously. I get anxiety attacks in large groups of people.
3) Any people in crowds start to smell bad after a while. Add 1) to the mix and... yeah.

Never going to happen.

Maybe I'll just go down there one year with some placards and join the protests. Though someone already got the "God Hates Jedi" slogan. Damn him.

1 comment:

Schadwen said...

I kind of came to the same decision this weekend. I may have to go sometime just to say that I've been, but I have major reservations.