Friday, July 2, 2010

At f***ing last

Damn but it took a long time for Friday to get here.

Time flies when you're having fun, but when you're not, life sure drags.

I could make some obnoxious theological observations, but I think I'll restrain myself.

I picked up a pair of polarized sunglasses at REI last night. They work much better against the hated fluorescent (yes, I can finally spell it right) lights in conjunction with the rest of the crazy.

I also managed to install my floor mats without damaging the Preciousssss. Installing floor mats, you ask?

So it turns out that the dealer floor mats (that I obtained on clearance via the Internet) have a quirk for the driver's mat. They have these neat little clips that secure the mats to the floor and prevent sliding. To put the clips in requires cutting into the floor.

Oh noes!

It was traumatic, but I managed. The Preciousss does not appear adversely-affected.

Shortly afterward, I had a funny encounter that reminded me of one of the reasons I moved to this end of the Bay.

In the old days, I lived in a somewhat more conservative community. I adorned my car with a Darwin Fish and thought nothing of it. One day I left karate class to find someone had left a note under my windshield wiper. The author of said note spent some time in the scribbles saying some unflattering things as to my character and telling me how I was going to hell for being such a bad person. The author also couldn't spell.

I can only assume the Darwin Fish was the source of said author's ire. I also assume said author did not stick around to tell me in person 'cause I was a martial arts student and might not have reacted well.

A fair assumption.

Anyway, fast-forward a decade and change. I'm at Costco picking up stuff and I've returned to my car. An older lady is finishing up packing her car with goodies as I approach my Precioussssss. She pauses and clearly looks as though she's about to ask something.

I figure she's curious about the new car.

Nope. She says:

"I understand the Darwin Fish. What's this?"

She points to the Flying Spaghetti Monster icon opposite the fish.

I take a few moments to explain Pastafarianism and the FSM. She was touched by his Noodley Appendage and I accidentally created a convert.

Would never have happened in my old home.

Next I should get a Cthulhu Fish. Just to round things out.

No comments: