Saturday, December 12, 2009

Smuggler's Cove

On Friday night, I visited Smuggler's Cove in San Francisco.

In the interests of honesty, it wasn't my first stop. Prior locales were varied and the three of us had imbibed stuff that really should not be imbibed in a single evening. Suffice it to say that absinthe is not my favorite drink ever.

Regardless, we wound up at Smuggler's Cove. After a few minutes of waiting in line in the drizzle we had the good fortune of meeting the owner. I related to him my fondness for Forbidden Island in Alameda (he founded it, apparently) and shared my father's fondness for the old-time tiki bars (Trader Vic's, Skipper Kent's, etc.). Interestingly enough, Martin Cate (the owner) knew all about these places and was a good sport to listen to my tipsy repeating of my father's tales.

Right there I knew I'd love this place. Mr. Cate was friendly, personable, and seemed genuinely interested in his patrons having a good time.

The interior was what I expected. Tiki decor with rum drinks galore and lots of wood paneling. It was multi-level with hard-working bartenders who really seemed to know their stuff. Along the walls coming immediately in, Smuggler's Cove had menu/adverts of some of the older tiki bars. I saw one of the long-gone Skipper Kent's of my father's tales. I should've taken a photo. Ah well.

We descended down to the lowermost level and partook of mai tais. They were classic style mai tais in the manner that I am most accustomed to drinking. In short, they were excellent.

I paid a dear price for all this drinking (and for finishing my evening with rum drinks) the next morning but I regret nothing.

I will return to Smuggler's Cove and I can tell it's going to be a very, very popular spot.

No comments: