Sunday, December 20, 2015

Review: "Nie Yin Yiang" ("The Assassin")

As I apparently have not had enough of movies this weekend, I watched Nie Yin Yiang (The Assassin). As a fan of wuxia and martial arts films, I figured this would be a slam-dunk couple of hours of fun.

Frankly, I was bored to tears watching this film. I never did figure out what was going on or who meant who to what or why. A lot of the cinematography had far-off shots or scenes as viewed through gauzy silk, as though the audience were voyeurs in the shadows (presumably to mirror the view of the titular assassin herself).

Frankly, it didn't work for me at all.

A shame, really. I'd heard a lot of hype over how gorgeous and original this film was. There were some pretty scenes, but frankly the entire thing felt choppy and amateurish. I don't understand the love.

Oh well. I can still bask in the glow of Star Wars: The Force Awakens.

No comments: