Monday, August 5, 2013

Thoughts on Peter Capaldi

Since the announcement that Peter Capaldi will be the 12th (13th?) Doctor, I've perused the comments at io9 a bit.

I'm not surprised at the stuff I'm reading. A lot of it is supportive, but there's the obligatory "Oh it's another white British guy, why can't they have someone of color or a woman this time?"

Folks are entitled to their opinions and desires. I've already expressed my thoughts on part of that topic. I certainly was pulling for Chiwetel Ejiofor as the next Doctor, but Peter Capaldi... I mean... goddamn. I think about how Capaldi made "In the Thick of It" just work. He WAS that show! I mean there was awesome stuff going on and great actors, but when Malcolm Tucker (Capaldi) came on-screen, it was the Peter Capaldi show and you'd best get used to it.

And the profanity was fairly epic. I've met people with Tourette's who would blush...

I'll be curious to see where Capaldi takes "his" Doctor. Will he use any particular past Doctor as inspiration or will he strike out into his own territory and go completely original?

I gotta say I'm a little excited. I'd be more excited if Moffatt's run at the second half of Series Seven wasn't such utter crap...

No comments: