Sunday, October 2, 2011

The Wedding of River Song - redux

So my last post was more spoiler-y recap and less personal reactions.

I needed to sleep on this and digest my thoughts.

Spoilers...

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

Likes:
* The Doctor's overall reactions. Playing everyone nicely. Never showing excessive sentiment towards River (despite the marriage). The great bluff.
* Amy as a secret agent.
* Rory. He just exudes badass.
* Dorium as a head.
* Live chess.
* Faking the Doctor's death.
* Amy Pond realizing she's a mother-in-law. Expression: priceless.
* Amy and River having wine and comparing notes. It was a cute moment.
* Amy's final words to Madam eyepatch.

On-The-Fence:
* Using the Tesselecta to impersonate the Doctor. It was a clever cheat, but a bit forced and contrived.
* The big time mash-up. It was fun, but too implausible and weird.
* The big question. Really?

Dislikes:
* The "SOS" to the Universe. Okay, that's been done to death. And it was a ridiculous, pointless, stupid plot element.
* The "wedding" of the Doctor and River. There didn't appear to be any point for that. It was so utterly random that it was like having a safety-pin jabbed into your side.
* The undefined scale of power of the Silence. If they can affect any living thing, including Time Lords, why didn't they take over Gallifrey?
* The excessive, mawkish sentimental bullshit.

Overall, I liked the episode. It was satisfying provided I stop picking at the plot holes. Unfortunately, my OCD prevents me from leaving it alone, so it will continue to bug me.

Still, it was far better than I expected, given the lackluster performance of the episodes that followed "A Good Man Goes to War".

No comments: