Monday, October 24, 2011

Stein of Science Hack

I love, love, love my Stein of Science.

Strictly-speaking, I should say STEINS (plural) of SCIENCE, as I own more than one.

That's how much I love them.

If I had anything that might, in the right light, at a distance, remotely be considered an issue, it might be how the upper-part of the grip for the stein can dig into my fingers, especially when the stein is full of liquid (such as beer).

With the weight of the ruggedized stein, it can leave a bit of a dent in my finger. This is hardly an Earth-shattering issue, but it's something I think about from time-to-time.

Then, one day, I discovered a possible modification: sugru.

Sugru is a kind of putty that hardens in a few hours in whatever shape you've molded it. I saw some on the crack purveyors of ThinkGeek and thought "hey, maybe I can modify my Stein(s)".

My sugru shipment came in Friday. I took my steins aside, applied some sugru, and now have a soft, colorful, moulding on the inside of my stein's grip.

I wish I had more artistic skill. I just glommed on some sugru on the inner grip, but in retrospect, I bet I could have done something fancy. *sigh*

Of course, now I have fewer excuses to put the blessed thing down...

[Edit] I've been told by a friend that my artistic skills are somewhat lacking. Specifically I was told that my application of sugru on my Stein of Science looks like used chewing gum applied to the handle.

Hm.

No comments: