Friday, October 21, 2011

Quakin' in our booties

If you're anywhere near a media source of any kind and live anywhere near the San Francisco Bay Area, you probably heard we had a couple of mild quakes yesterday.

Per the USGS, there was a 4.0 around 2:40pm followed by a 3.8 about 8:16 pm or so.

It's my first, second, and third instincts to mock the hullabaloo over this. Anything under a 5.0 is pretty minor and yawn-worthy. I honestly thought the 4.0 was construction work taking place in my office building. I largely-ignored the 3.8.

In retrospect, I think I was entirely too blase about this. If either quake had been stronger, I wouldn't have taken precautions for any kind of cover and that might have sucked.

The quakes hit along the Hayward Fault. For non-Bay Area people, that fault is probably the worst fault for the Bay Area to have issues with. When that bad boy snaps on a 5+ level, things are not going to go well for this area. I've looked up the likely spots I'll be should a major (say a 7.0) quake hit on the Hayward Fault.

Odds look pretty grim that any area I'll be in will be even remotely safe.

*sigh*

I've got all the requisite disaster kits. The joy of being a paranoid is that the Voices prompt you to be ready for earthquakes as well as comets, Men in Black, cyborgs from the future, and all that.

My plan for the cyborgs from the future is to trip the nearest person to me and run like hell. Just so you know.

But back to the quakes... yeah, they were a bit startling, but I can't help feeling a bit amused by all the attention paid them. A 4.0 is a bit startling, but it's not like anything was... oh wait. I haven't checked my desk.

OH MY GOD! MY UNDEAD NINJA FIGURE FELL OVER! IT MUST HAVE BEEN THE QUAKE!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, I'm done. Happy Friday.

No comments: