Thursday, October 27, 2011

Farcebook

I'm one step closer (or one step away, I guess) from deleting my Facebook account.

To be honest, I've been thinking about this for a while now. I resisted Facebook for a long time. I wound up establishing a Facebook account reluctantly and for stupid reasons. I kept it under tight rein for a long time, adding friends slowly and carefully, and taking advantage of as much of Facebook's inadequate privacy settings as I could.

I put up with Facebook's constant fucking around with their UI and their meddling with their settings. I put up with their crappy interface. I did all this mainly to converse with a few people with whom I can't otherwise interact normally.

I've been wondering if it's been worth the effort, really.

Today I just found out that another of Facebook's crappy privacy settings hiccuped and started exposing stuff I usually have on lockdown. I'm pretty good about not posting very private stuff. My account info is mostly a tissue of lies and I do my best to nuke any photos of myself.

That said, I get pissed when photo albums I have, regardless of how private they are, somehow slip past the net of security settings I have.

And they did.

I reset the settings. I have no idea if the setting is holding. I'm going to sleep on this. Odds are I'm going to nuke the account tomorrow. I may change my mind. We'll see.

Fucking Facebook.

1 comment:

Aaron Britton said...

it's not worth it. Nuke FACEBOOK, DO IT!!

Thing to remember about facebook is that they have it so they supposedly gain the rights to anything you post, or someone else post from you. It is just not worth it.