Thursday, December 21, 2017

Thoughts on "The Last Jedi"

Yeah, I saw it.

In a nutshell, I was disappointed. To elaborate, I thought the plot had holes you could drive a Star Destroyer through, the writing was weak, there were sub-plots that went exactly nowhere, there were characters introduced for no good reason that I could fathom, and the treatment of Luke Skywalker as a character borders on criminal.

There were good points: Mark Hamill, Daisy Ridley, and Adam Driver had solid performances. There were scenes with Ridley and Driver that had good, strong chemistry between the actors and their characters. There was a pretty awesome fight scene at one point.

Overall, I don't understand the hype. This was, at best, a mediocre film. Not as bad as, say, The Phantom Menace but certainly not any kind of classic. It doesn't hold a torch to the original trilogy at all. I'm given to understand Rian Johnson's getting his own Star Wars trilogy after Episode 9 airs. Gotta say, based on The Last Jedi, I could totally skip any other treatments of Star Wars he comes up with.

Weak sauce, Disney. Weak sauce.

No comments: