Monday, December 4, 2017

Review: The Vakra, by Zombie Tools

A couple of months back, I succumbed to temptation and placed an order for The Vakra, the Zombie Tools version of a Nepalese kukri knife.

It arrived the other day.

I must say one thing: if zombies come a' callin', they're gonna not enjoy the reception they'll get from the Vakra.

Described by Zombie Tools as "a fist full of fuck yeah", the Vakra is a bit longer and more slender than kukri's I've played with before (or even the one I got at some convention in the distant past). Like the other Zombie Tools I've acquired in the past, the Vakra comes sharp, burly, and kinda scary looking. I keep giving it an experimental swing around my apartment and I have to learn to stop doing that. I'll either take out a wall or bookcase or I'll drop it on my foot and loose an appendage. Aside from the brutal, heavy blade, the Vakra's pommel has a jagged bit of joy for when you want to punch something close (a window, a wall, a zombie's teeth, whatever).

The Vakra comes with a Kydex sheath with all sorts of straps and loops to put on a belt and fasten to your leg, or you could pony up for a nice, black leather sheath with belt loop and cord to secure it to your leg.

Why the hell did I spend money on this thing? Oh I don't know. I have no illusions as to how long I'd last in a zombie apocalypse, but it's kind of cool to have. And if I ever have to do yard work (or get dropped in the jungle), this puppy's sure going to be handy. I don't think even I could break this.

No comments: