Sunday, October 22, 2017

Airline movies

Just completed a bit of business travel overseas. Along with my obligatory airport/airplane-induced cold, I've managed to see a few movies I missed in theaters:

The first was Kong: Skull Island

Set in the early 70's at the conclusion of the Vietnam War, Kong has the distinction of being an outlier as monster movies go I enjoyed this flick far, far more than I expected. I'm not entirely sure of the purpose of most of the characters in the film, but amidst Vietnam helicopter montages, Sam Jackson's always-awesome screen presence, and a huge-ass gorilla fighting weird monsters, I honestly didn't give much of a shit. I enjoyed this movie so much that I watched it both on my flight overseas and back again. It was the prefect balance of random character scenes, monster fights, and really awesome cinematography.

The second flick I saw that I've never seen was Baby Driver.

I really didn't know what to expect from this movie. I knew nothing of it. After watching it, I find myself slightly blown-away by Edgar Wright's action film. The main character's tendinitis was an awesome way to get some fun songs into a car chase film. And from there, the movie was just pure popcorn fun.

I wish airplanes had popcorn instead of the shit they usually serve.

No comments: