Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Why I'm done with Kickstarter

I did the math.

I've backed over 70 projects since 2011. Most funded. I've gotten some great stuff from backing Kickstarter projects.

That said, I've backed some obvious frauds. I figure there's a good $300 I'll never see again thanks to some asshole crooks.

The odds aren't bad overall (that constitutes three or four projects out of 70+) but what gets me is Kickstarter as an institution.

When someone runs off with your money, you don't know for months. Some projects are just bad at communicating, after all. And if you complain to Kickstarter, it's a black hole. They do exactly jack shit beyond saying "Too bad. Read the TOS."

They do nothing to help out the project supporters once Kickstarter gets their money. They don't allow for a way to contact the project creators. They don't provide a damn thing.

Frankly, I find that unacceptable.

I know some court rulings are starting to back crowdfunding project backers, but that requires legal action and frankly it's not worth it for the cash lost.

Easier to just walk away from Kickstarter and similar crowdfunding sites unless I'm very sure.

A shame. It was a nice idea, but I'm done.

No comments: