Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Saying farewell to 2014 and hello to 2015

To say 2014 was a year of change for me would be a mild understatement. The last three months have been pretty crazy, mainly with the shift into a new job and all the rippling changes that come from that.

It's been a crazy-as-hell year:

  • My previous employer had an utter meltdown from a transfer in ownership that made most of 2014 an unpleasant and somewhat nerve-wracking experience.
  • Job-hunting (see above) taught me no small amount of humility.
  • A dizzying number of friends moved on to other phases in their lives and friendships I'd assumed were solid were solid seemed to be shockingly-fragile while others remained just as shockingly solid, if not more-so. People always surprise me.
  • The Bike Gods unleashed their wrath upon me for reasons I cannot fathom.
  • Some damn good books came across my path ("The Martian", "Tower Lord", "Skin Game", and others).
  • I concluded a role-playing game campaign that was a good thirteen years long (give or take).
  • Said gaming group lost and gained members. New faces around the table. New dice in the hand. New campaigns going on.
  • I got to visit England for the first time in ages.
  • Bad habits have started to catch up with me but now I'm inspired to fix them, so there's a silver lining in that cloud.
So now I'm sitting in my apartment to greet the New Year. We're suffering a mild cold-snap here in the Bay Area and it turns out my apartment's wall-heater is dead as can be, making my apartment akin to an icebox. Thankfully I have a space heater that works nicely. I'm suffering from a mild cold/bug/something that discourages me from going out. The mail just delivered Guardians of the Galaxy on DVD and I believe I've managed to kill off the ants invading the bar in my kitchen, so I think there's a movie and some sipping bourbon on the menu to greet 2015.

Whomever you are and where-ever you are, may you have a very happy New Year and may 2015 bring you more good than bad in your life.

Cheers!

1 comment:

Aaron Britton said...

Happy New Year to you too. Though you have not been through a cold snap yet. Today the high was 15 outside. Our nicely designed new house (yes I am patting myself on the back here) kept us nice and warm with just a little fire in the wood burning stove and the sun with a good 72 degrees for most of the day.

Hope your new job treats you well this year and the ants decide to go bug someone else.

Aaron