Monday, July 21, 2014

Comic stuff

  • So, Thor is now a woman. No matter how I look at this, it just seems like pandering to me. Marvel is just trying to say: "Oooh! Look at us! We're about diversity and being edgy! Ladies, buy our comics! And boys, we'll aim for some cheesecake shots so you keep buying!"
  • I guess the Falcon is now Captain America? Cool? I honestly haven't been keeping track of Marvel comics in years, so I have no reaction to offer.
  • I'm of two minds on the whole re-imagining thing that comics keep doing. On the one hand, it's nice they're trying to freshen up some brands, but on the other hand, it's kind of lazy. Instead of aiming for a new, cool character, writers just slap a socially-relevant label on an existing character as a sort of nod to being "diverse", such as a Middle-Eastern-American Green Lantern or a female Thor or whatever. Then again, it's just comics. I should give 'em props for trying to keep comics relevant to modern-day.
  • I re-watched Captain America: The First Avenger yesterday (coincidentally). I'm still impressed by how well-done the film was. It really was the supporting characters that helped make it awesome. Agent Carter and the Howling Commandos were really solid and the Red Skull was just perfect.

No comments: