Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Seriously, what the hell is up with Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.?

How hard is it to produce a show about super-spies in a world with super powers?

I mean, "Heroes" did it better than "Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.", for the whole two minutes that "Heroes" was watchable.

So last night's AoS was a bold attempt to try to be clever. I'd normally applaud that if the show lacked any foundation of good writing and character development to make me care about anything that was going on.

The crew was off to pull some kind of heist to capture one of the mediocre bad guys. There were three sequences of flashbacks to explain things that happened as the team split up, but the whole thing felt just... forced, contrived, and jarring.

  • So the sudden and inevitable betrayal? So not surprising. Saw that a mile away. Seriously, is this going to be one of those shows where only the main cast are trustworthy good guys? Yawn.
  • Coulson is losing the quiet, confident hyper-competence that made him so awesome in the movies. I find this displeasing.
  • Jesus... really? The love triangle thing needs to go away a lot.
  • The elusive villain who is always one step ahead is beyond boring.
  • The focus on trying to hurt Coulson is so forced and contrived that I find myself craving the commercial breaks.
  • I'm sorry, but the entire Skye storyline leaves me utterly cold. I like the actress fine, but the character draws nothing but yawns from me.
Sigh.

There were a few good points. Ming-Na Wen's Melinda May moments were non-stop awesome. I would watch a show of just her and Agent Coulson (made into a hyper-competent badass again) and enjoy that endlessly.

The Deathlok addition has... potential.

I really wish this show could get a new crew of writers and get their shit together. This program should be a slam-dunk into awesome but is just so mediocre it's depressing to watch.

No comments: