Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Hitting the Target

I've been musing on comments re: the "Human Target" series for a while.

Then I saw Salon's review of this season and I decided this covers it better (and far nicer) than I could ever express my take on this latest season.

Matt Soller Seitz does an excellent job covering the basics. I have to agree with his take on things. Specifically:

* The plots for season two have just been really, really bad.
* Chance has been... less... somehow. His character just isn't the same wry, funny, super-competent character he was in season one.
* Winston has just become whiny.
* Guerrero has become a joke.
* Ames is losing the charm she added to the show (her marriage subplot was so stupid that I wonder what the writers were smoking).
* Ilsa Pucci has yet to develop any charm at all. Her character is tiresome, shrewish, judgmental, and devoid of any value to the overall story.
* The quasi-romantic leanings the writers are trying to do with Chance and Ilsa feel contrived and really wrong.
* The music is crap, especially when compared with Bear McCreary's stirring scores from season one.

It feels like a completely different show using several of the same actors. It's amazing how season one could be so utterly awesome and season two could just turn into epic trash.

I agree with Seitz that the show could still be salvaged, but I don't have any hopes that FOX will take the steps to do so. Season one was solid and very good. Someone in the higher echelon of FOX's dysfunctional management felt that formula was a mistake and had to piss in it.

No reason to think they'll try to fix it at this point.

No comments: