Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Stuff

Gary Gygax is dead.

Kind of a weird feeling. I never really liked D&D as a kid. I could never get behind alignment systems or figure out the esoteric weirdness of armor class and I really couldn't get behind the arbitrary rules (like wizards couldn't use certain weapons).

I first really got into RPGs playing "Star Frontiers". Some of my old-timer friends and I still remember Yazirian Battle Rage with fond memories. Every time I walk through UC Berkeley's campus and see Sather Gate, I think "Sathar" and look for hostile snake-worm-creatures. Heee...

Gamma World was also fun, but it never topped Star Frontiers. I guess it's 'cause GW had holdovers from the weirder parts of D&D's combat system. Though I have to admit, I always liked D&D's Sphere of Annihilation and GW's black-ray gun (or whatever it was called).

The current fantasy GURPS game that my nerd-crew and I play certainly has its D&D roots, if only because the other GM and I consciously try to avoid the more egregious cliches (like Drow, Driders, and the like).

Still, where would we be without Gygax's creations?

Rest in peace, Mr. Gygax. You rock.

No comments: