Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Review: TAD Gear Rogue RS and Sentinel Field Jackets

It's winter. It's cold. It's currently also quite wet. It's that time when one has to have a suitable coat when one goes outdoors.

During the blitz of endless adverts sent to my email, I noticed Triple Aught Design (aka TAD Gear) came out with some new jackets.

I have purchased some of their jackets in the past and never regretted a purchase, despite the expense.

As Autumn hit, I found myself in need of a nice, light jacket. And I came across the Rogue RS Jacket.

It was exactly what I was looking for. It's a breathable, sturdy jacket made of nylon and cotton. When open, it's comfortable on a warm day. When zipped up, it keeps a blustery wind from giving too much trouble. While not waterproof, it's a workable garment in a light rain.

The Rogue RS has two zippered hand-warmer pockets that have smaller pockets within for items (flashlight, gum, whatever). There's also two smaller pockets inside the jacket that could fit a small wallet or maybe a phone.

Totally worth the cost in my book. I liked my Rogue RS so much that when TAD had a one-day Xmas coupon in early December, I got a second one (in a different color) with the Spring in mind.

I thought that was that.

Then those crafty buggers at Triple Aught Design set another lure for me.

It was a few days later when I saw the Sentinel Field Jacket first go on-sale. I was intrigued. Then I looked at the price tag and choked a bit. With Xmas expenses melting my credit card, I decided I couldn't afford it.

The next day, I decided I could probably manage it and tried to buy one. They were sold out. In one day.

Bummed, I occasionally checked out the site (by which I mean I looked multiple times every damn day) to see if they restocked in my size.

Right around Xmas (I think maybe Xmas Eve?) they restocked. I made the purchase before I was even conscious of what the hell I was doing.

A few days after Xmas, I managed to line up with UPS and get my jacket.

I.
Regret.
Nothing!

The Sentinel Field Jacket is a truly delightful garment. Highly water-resistant, the Sentinel is made of a light, breathable fabric called "Ventile" that layers well for cold weather (like now) but would likely fare well come Spring and Autumn.

And then there's the pockets.

I do love me a jacket with pockets and the Sentinel doesn't disappoint. There's two large, snap-closed, pouch pockets in front with a pair of zipper-closed hand-warmer pockets on the side. There's also a zipper-closed pocket over the left side of the chest with another zipper-closed pocket on the inside. All have good-sized capacity for things like wallets, small cameras, phones, a medium-sized book, sunglasses, or whatever.

I won't lie to you: the Sentinel is currently my favorite jacket.

Damn well better be for the price.

TAD is an expensive place to shop, but I have to say I've liked everything I've gotten from them.

1 comment:

James said...

Interesting. I never got on with the Rogue. I'm short and stocky - the Medium fit nicely in the torso, but the arms were freakishly long. The small was really snug in the torso, but the arms were almost short enough to not look weird. The fit was generally super odd.