Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Hump Day

Halfway to the weekend. Good lord but this week is taking its sweet time finishing up.

I'm spending an extraordinary amount of time playing detective (both as part of my job and on the side). I'm finding I quite enjoy it... in doses.

As part of my job it feels more like I'm an archaeologist unearthing ancient and arcane secrets that have not seen the light of day in a decade. I have a leather jacket and an appropriate satchel. I think I have a hat that would suit an Indiana Jones-like look. Wonder what I did with that whip?

---
With the best of intentions, I meant to go on the wagon in the month of October and avoid imbibing alcoholic beverages, mainly as a weight/diet thing.

Boy did that plan go south quickly.

Last night I met up with my friend the Veeb and not only enjoyed a few pints of mostly-delicious brews but a burger that was to die for.

Maybe literally, as there was both butter and bacon on said burger of deliciousness.

If I wasn't operating on pure necromantic energies, my heart would probably explode in my chest from the caloric delight of the burger.

Mmm... tasty, tasty burger.
---

Ah, election time. 'Tis the season for robot calls to advise me on the latest political bullshit.

My answering machine has a very simple and direct approach. I advise callers that if they are calling with:

* a survey
* to ask for money
* any political message

to hang up and take me off their call list. Otherwise, leave a message.

It's gotten some amused reactions from my dentist, my parents, and assorted friends. I have no idea if it's worked on actual annoying callers. I know that the Do Not Call list doesn't work for political wonks or survey folks and it doesn't affect certain money-wheedlers.

Can't hurt, I suppose.

I think I'll just turn the ringer off until November.

No comments: