Sunday, December 1, 2019

Review: "Zero History" by William Gibson

I finished "Zero History", the third book in William Gibson's "Blue Ant Trilogy", last month. I meant to write up a review, then November just happened, distracting me from ever thinking about my much-neglected blog.

"Zero History" starts up a few years after "Spook Country". It revolves around two of the protagonists from "Spook Country": Hollis Henry, the former musician turned journalist and Milgrim, the translator and drug addict.

"Zero History" explores more of the politics of Blue Ant and Hubertus Bigend's control of the company while dealing with another MacGuffin in the form of a mysterious clothing designer. Fashion remains a consistent theme throughout the book, echoing "Pattern Recognition". Indeed, many, many, references call back to "Pattern Recognition" in this book.

Overall, I quite enjoyed it. It goes from rambling observations of fashion and culture right into a caper in weird ways. I enjoyed all the characters, though I tended to find the Hollis Henry character a bit annoying by the end. Still, there was surprising closure for "Pattern Recognition" which pleased me. Loved it.

No comments: