Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Knuckle-dusting and box-cutting: the JHO Knives NUG

While perusing my usual morning assortment of random websites, I came across mention of the NUG by JHO Knives. I availed myself of purchasing the satin version because... shiny.

It arrived today.

I really, really like this.

The NUG is a solid, fun little combination tool and self-defence accessory. As a knife (as in something you'd use in a knife fight), it's not really much. It's more an impact tool to help deliver a punch (to break a window or a jaw or whatever). I suppose one could pop the tiny knife out to supplement that, but I'm not convinced it would be worth the effort in a fight. Seems to me I'd be lucky if I had time to get the damn thing around a finger in a fight. Deploying a tiny knife... yeah, probably not the sort of escalation I'd opt for.

That said, the knife is a handy, tough little blade. The site claims you can cut nearly anything with it. I wouldn't be surprised. With the knuckle-grip ring, it's pretty easy to deliver force without the knife slipping.

The opening action of the blade is surprisingly-smooth and the blade itself is tiny and discrete enough that it probably wouldn't freak people out when it's deployed to open a box or cut a string.

I have to say I really liked the packaging the NUG came in. Classier than most knives.

It's not going to replace my DPX HEST, but it's certainly going to have a place in my pockets.

My very heavily-burdened pockets... hm...

Anyway, I'm very pleased with this purchase. I'll be keeping an eye on JHO Knives in the future.

No comments: