Monday, May 2, 2016

A prolific sign of a problem

It hit me the other day. I was taking a long, hard look at my life and career and finding myself falling short of where I feel I should be.

It's depressing to realize you're not as good as you should be at what you do for a living.

So it made me think: what the hell am I doing with my spare time that's taking me away from my life? What's distracting me so?

Then I took a good, long look at a single website.

It's not what you think. For many years now, I've been running a table-top role-playing game. I've mentioned it before more than a few times. Hell, a campaign of some 15 years wrapped up a few years back.

I decided to go through the Google Group we use to store most of our game background.

I stopped counting after I hit 300 pages. I estimate there's over 500 pages of material on the site. About 90% of that, I've authored.

And that's just for the one Fantasy campaign.

This doesn't count the content defunct Yahoo Group we used to use for storing this info. I still haven't ported over a lot of those pages.

This also doesn't take into account the "secret super powers" modern-day campaign I had as an alternate.

I figure if I ever get my druthers and clean some content up, I would be able to compile a novel of our gaming campaign with a word count that may well rival Robert Jordan and George R.R. Martin's works.

Wouldn't be anywhere near as good, mind you. It would be derivative as hell of myriad fantasy writers, but it would be a verbose as all hell story.

So that's where I've sunk a ton of my life.

I'm not entirely sure how I feel about that, but at least now I don't feel I should be burning my geek card over May the Fourth.

I'll probably just singe it a bit. Set phasers to "cook".

No comments: