Friday, October 2, 2020

Reviews: Goruck

When I came across Goruck on another site, I found myself intrigued by their rucksack offerings (they don't call them "backpacks" and there's a reason for that).

It's 2020 and everything's going to shit. I had some extra money and treated myself to a new bag, thinking that it would be nice should life return to sanity and I could commute again to the office.

I got one of their packs and swapped my messenger bag's contents for a rucksack.

I found myself impressed.

The bag was a GR1 and is a brute of a pack. Goruck's site says they guarantee their bags against any reasonable damage. As I've got this intended as a commuter bag, I think this thing will last me the rest of my natural life. It's a well-padded beast of a bag with a padded laptop sleeve that's accessible outside the main body of the bag. The bag itself opens 180 degrees when unzipped and has all sorts of useful pockets and loops. I'm almost eager for commuting again with this holding my work essentials.

Intrigued, I took a look at Goruck's site and offerings a bit more carefully. I really was just looking for a bag at the time. The quality of the GR1 made me consider obtaining a larger GR3 as a "bug out bag". Seemed a prudent (if steep) purchase at the time, given the way things were going. And then the summer hit in full force with fires and what-not and I've been doubly-happy I made the purchase. Should shit go sideways and I need to get moving, I figure my "bug out bag" will handle whatever punishment is going on around me. Probably better than I will, truth be told.

I'll admit, I've now started to look at the whole "rucking" and "sandbag" stuff that's advertised on the Goruck site. I may give it a try. It's not exactly feasible right now with the toxic air quality here in California, but that may change and I certainly could use a good workout.

They sell boots and shoes as well, it seems. I may have look into those.

No comments: