Thursday, October 23, 2014

Charting New Courses

So I've started a new job. Going through all the fun of training and learning new things and meeting new people. It's been good times thus far.

One of the biggest adjustments is the added commute time on BART.

I've spent a great deal of time on BART, usually on pleasure treks to-and-from some social outing. Over the years I've had nearly all the classic non-violent encounters on BART, ranging from idle flirting with a complete stranger (and the subsequent regret I didn't get a name/phone number) to often-unwilling interactions with the obviously mentally-ill (and hygienically-challenged).

Some of my friends who commute regularly on BART felt a need to warn me that I'd encounter rude folks and more obnoxious behavior. I haven't seen it yet. I've had the full-gambit this week of delayed trains, packed (oh-so-packed) trains, the odd crazy people, and normal commutes and it's been no problem at all. Sure, people get irritable when things go sour, but I've found that small attempts at being gracious and polite pay great dividends in making for an easier ride.

I wonder how I'll feel in a few months? Heh.

No comments: